Mr. Oshiro is a resident at Mt. Celeste and one of the characters Madeline meets in her climb. He first appears within the Celestial Resort in Chapter 3, and last appears in the epilogue. He is the long deceased owner of the Celestial Resort and runs the hotel independently, despite the evident lack of customers.
According to the Old Woman, the reason he stays at the hotel is that he is a lost soul, and the hotel is "much more than just a hotel to him", as evident by documents found in the level. In the epilogue, Mr. Oshiro opens up and leaves the hotel to attend the "party" with everyone to have some homemade strawberry pie.
Although his form can be changed, Mr. Oshiro usually appears as a short man with a big pink nose and dark-green hair. He wears a green shirt, black pants, a brown belt, and brown shoes. In his enraged form, his head is greatly enlarged and gains four fangs (two on the top, two on the bottom), red eyes, and pointed ears.
After his mysterious death decades prior to the events of the game, Mr. Oshiro still resides in the Celestial Resort as a lost spirit without realizing his demise, now disillusioned as seen in his monologues throughout the chapter. He also unknowingly began spawning living sludge manifested from his doubts and fears, as evident from the scene before reaching the presidential suite where Mr. Oshiro was more doubtful of his own abilities as the resort caretaker after Madeline helped clean up the resort. His belief that the resort was still in operation was challenged when the other Part of Madeline appeared and directly confronted him, resulting in Mr. Oshiro chasing Madeline out of the hotel.Although it is unknown when exactly Mr. Oshiro was freed from his own disillusions, it is seen in the credits that he was utilizing his sludge to help clean up the resort, indicating that he had, perhaps, accepted his own doubts and fears in the end.
- His surname, Oshiro, means "big castle" in Japanese, suggesting that Mr. Oshiro is either from Japan or has Japanese ancestry.
- ↑ "He's a creepy old weirdo." —Theo, Chapter 3 (Huge Mess)"
- ↑ "You're in denial, old man." —Badeline, Chapter 3 (Presidential Suite)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 This can be seen on a notice personally written by Mr. Oshiro; the notice can be found in one of the side rooms in Chapter 3 (in the same room where the PICO-8 minigame is hidden).
- ↑ Chapter 3, Mr. Oshiro's Diary: "It's Mr. Oshiro's diary. The last entry appears to be decades old..."
- ↑ Behind the Name: Oshiro